6.29.2010

12-14 Days Ago (A Birth Story)

14 Days Ago...
It began. We went about life like any other day. Going for walks after work, going out to dinner, and even going over to a friend's place to watch part of the Celtics' game. Contracting all along. I went home at half-time. I called Scott after the game was over and told him it was time to come home.

13 Days Ago...
Scott went to bed to get some rest. I stayed on the couch (where I'd been sleeping for a few nights because it was more comfortable than bed), where I watched "The Delivery" episode of The Office and dozed.

By 5:00 AM, I got Scott up to sit with me while I labored. We called the midwives at 6:30, who recommended staying home a bit longer. By 8:30, the contractions were 2-3 minutes apart and we were off to the hospital.

By 11:00 AM, we were on our way back home. The contractions had slowed and I was only 3cm. I spent the day in the shower, walking around our building, and waiting. Contracting.

7:30 PM and we headed back to the hospital. It was eight hours later and I was only five centimeters. We decided to stay because I had to be treated for GBS.

The midwife on call was amazing. She was absolutely perfect for us. Even if she did mention that usually when first-time mothers reach 5cm, they "progress about about 1cm/hour." She estimated a very early morning arrival. I was smart enough to not get my hopes up too high. Thank God.

The next few hours are a total blur. There were contractions, a shower, an amazingly supportive husband and visits from the midwife who was impressed by how calm we were.

12 Days Ago...
Around the time of his estimated arrival, when I had been up for nearly 48 hours, we discussed breaking my water. Initially, I had not wanted to have it broken for me, but at this point we needed to get things moving. I was on the verge of total and utter exhaustion.

By the time she actually broke my water, I was 9.5cm. I was able to begin pushing shortly thereafter. At 3:30 AM.

The next three hours were the most exhausting, overwhelming, and exhilarating hours I have ever experienced. There was pushing. There was a dropping heart rate. There was meconium in the amniotic fluid. There was a NICU team. There was fear of a stuck shoulder. And then there was Jack.

When, at 6:38, he finally decided to come, he came quickly. No "just one more push" warning. Just this beautiful baby boy on my chest. The NICU team had to suction his lungs and stomach in the room, but soon he was back with me. Breathing beautifully.


And we were three.

3 comments:

Shannon said...

You have an amazing way with words. That brought me to tears! What an amazing story!

Sarah said...

That is a great birth story, what a really strong woman you are! You have my full, heartfelt respect!

nana said...

i am so proud of my strong, determined, wonderful, daughter!!!
i love you from the bottom of my heart!!!!!
mom